Alpha 8

Date: April 15, 2016 Posted by: Chris St. John In: Uncategorized

Greetings, Arena gladiators!

I am pleased to announce Alpha 8 of HaxArena, which comes with some features to match up with HaxBall, and some additional goodies to make it stand out!

Access code is removed

The first announcement is that the access code to make an account on the site has been removed. All players are now welcome at play.haxarena.com!

Goal announcements

The game now announces goals with Red scores! and Blue scores! The game also announces the winner when a match completes.

Pause/resume

Players can now pause the game by pressing P, and resume by using the same. Currently all players can do it; I may restrict this to Admins only.

Instant replay

When a goal is scored, players are treated to a replay of the goal. This is an experimental feature — some changes we are considering:

• Adjusting the length/speed of the replay
  • Allowing players to skip the replay
  • Allowing admins to configure the room so that replays are never shown

This is a feature we’re very excited about, because it is the first step toward more advanced features when the time comes, such as allowing players to feature replays on their player account for review by others.

Networking

I’ve gone back to the old method of client-side predictions, using a lot of advice helpfully provided by maod on an earlier discussion thread. The feel of the game now more closely matches HaxBall: the game is now much more responsive to the touch, but network lag makes other players appear jittery (the effect is worse the higher the lag is). maod continues to add helpful advice on the same thread and I will be applying it over time. Many thanks to him!

Bots

At long last, I’ve lifted the bot code from a previous project and adapted it for HaxArena. Admins can add bots to the game and assign them to teams from the Players tab. Bots will play alongside human players, and cheer wildly when their team scores a goal. Also, in the game warm-up stage, the bots work tirelessly to move the balls off their half of the field.

Future work with bots includes:

• Different difficulty levels (easy, medium, hard)
  • Different defensiveness levels (GK, midfield, striker)

As always, feel free to leave any comments / suggestions!

24 thoughts on “Alpha 8

• http://www./ says:

Go Team Aniston! Oh my goodness. How interesting that life and food are so inexplicably wrapped together like a braid of rope. Sometimes the rope can feel a bit like a noose, but sometimes it's the rope that pulls us into the light. Holy moly, this dish looks fantastic. Hope to make this soon – thank you SO MUCH for sharing!

• 5hine says:

I haven’t been able to play HaxArena, it loads some pictures but I’m unable to click on anything. Is this something on my end?

• Vakoj says:

hey, im the guy from the room, keep up the good job, and remember to fix ping, lag, jitter issues!

• Tivuzs says:

why is play.haxarena.com not working?

• Aaron Smith says:

It was down for a few hours the other day. Should be up and working now.

• http://www./ says:

à°•ొసమెà°°ుà°ªు à°…à°¦్à°­ుà°¤ంà°—ా à°‰ంà°¦ి. à°•ొà°¤్à°¤ à°¸ంవత్సరం à°¤ీà°°్à°®ాà°¨ం à°…à°¨ి à°•ాà°¦ు à°•ాà°¨ీ, 'à°°ోà°œూ బద్ధకింà°šà°•ుంà°¡ా à°‡ంà°—్à°²ీà°·్ à°ªేపర్ చదవాà°²ి'- à°¨ేà°¨ూ ఇలాà°—ే à°…à°¨ుà°•ుంà°Ÿాà°¨ు. à°•ాà°¨ీ… :)à°…ందరూ à°­ుà°œాà°²ు తడుంà°•ుà°¨ే à°µిà°·à°¯ాà°¨్à°¨ి à°…ంà°¦ంà°—ా, సరదా à°¶ైà°²ిà°²ో à°°ాà°¸ిà°¨ంà°¦ుà°•ు à°…à°­ిà°¨ందనలు !

• I just got a Playstation and would like some PSN friends to enrich the experience. If any of you would like to add me, please look for jennifrayd. I’m mainly playing SSX at the moment.

• Hi Kymmy, I’m sorry, but I haven’t tried the Bake & Bend clay, so I can’t tell you the exact texture. But it’s flexible after baking, so you can move it and “play” with it a bit. It’s isn’t rigid, hard, and “fixed” like regular polymer clay. Are you looking for something that will bend after baking, or are you just wondering about it? Where are you located? Perhaps someone else from your area can tell you of a good place to buy clay. Let us know…

• Well put Sidfaiwu. If marriage is tied to both government benefits and religion, the only result is trouble. I second the motion for civil-union idea for eveyone. If you want a religious marriage than do so at your local place of worship.I’ll bring this up next time I’m at the White House.gasmonso

• q says:

hey guys

do you have some problems with maintenance of play.haxarena.com at the moment?

• Danilo says:

Good :D!

• PRO says:

make big easy 4-4 field

• Aaron Smith says:

Thank you for the comments. We will be adding more standard fields as well as allowing players to load HaxBall map files.

• http://www./ says:

I'm gonna make this short and sweet. Here's what you should do:1. Find a way to eliminate the spammers and spambots that litter this site.2. Eliminate or at least extend the 10-minute time limit for Director videos.3. Eliminate the comment-rating system, for it is utterly useless.4. I'd personally like to see everyone's individual rating of each one of my videos, so I can see who gives 5* and who gives 1*.

• http://www./ says:

You should be the one getting this, Michelle! You are one awesome lady. bonny(dot)anderson(at)gmail(dot)comOh, you probably already know my email address, lol. I need more coffee.

• PRO says:

need improve maybe player of tha match in future on match ctatistics

and improve more skilled bots
    theyre amazing)))

• PRO says:

1 need 4-5 sec – replays over when ball on line when goal in some episodes

2 in replay hide line RED or BLUE scores

• PRO says:

great job
    i play on haxarena
    not good but i play here

uneed 2 reduce jitter
    now beeter but need reduce

tomorrow write video