As I emerge from my darkened lab, blinking and squinting up at the intense ball of light I’m told is a “sun”, I’m proud to announce my latest build, which has been a long time coming.
I’ve spent the last few weeks re-architecting the game. I was finding it just too difficult to make fixes with the code the way it was, so we decided I should invest some time in cleaning that up. The good news is that the newly polished codebase has made it easy to make further changes, so you should expect to see some good progress in the coming weeks.
The biggest result of the last few weeks’ work is that the exact same (smaller) engine code is now running on the server and client side, meaning that the client can replay buffered player inputs I describe in an earlier blog post. This makes the experience smooth for the player even at intermediate ping ranges (100-200 ms). I encourage you to try it out and let us know if the experience has improved.
Other incidental fixes include:
Some items we’ll be working on over the next few weeks:
As always, your comments are most welcome!